I'm trying to write an .msi target (zip and eve targets already exist)
for a project that I do not myself control (The Perl programming
language) and that changes over time.

This rules out the recommended approach of hand-crafting the Wix XML
files at the same time as the code is written, because I can't do that.

That means I have no choice but to dynamically generate the Wix XML from
a set of files.

While I understand that simple generation of these XML files is
non-ideal, I have to resort to this approach regardless.

So I'm looking for some Wix XML examples I can work against.

Ideally, this would be a set of examples that gradually increase in
complexity from "install one file to a fixed directory" to "install many
files to a fixed directory" ... and so on and so forth, adding
subdirectories, differing types of files, and so on and so forth.

This would give me something perhaps more concrete I can use as a
intermediate stages, from which I can get closer and closer to the ways
it SHOULD be done, while initially getting SOMETHING working that is
very simple and crude.

Thanks in advance

Adam Kennedy
http://strawberryperl.com/