Let me make sure I understand you scenario:
You want the following to happen before InstallValidate:

-          Either extract from the MSI your COM dll or have it in the source
along with the MSI;

-          Call custom action to register the COM dll;

-          Call custom action which will call the COM dll to do the inspection.
 Return exit code 3 if inspection fails.

-          Unregister COM dll, possibly after InstallFinalize.

Here are my thoughts:

-          It is a bad practice to change the system in the immediate custom
action and registering COM dll - is a change to the system;

-          Having COM dll as a separate file will create problems for
maintenance mode.

Can the logic of COM dll be integrated into the custom action dll directly?
That will be much better solution for this problem.

Regards,
Alex