From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Bob Arnson
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 9:54 PM
To: Paul McLaughlin
Cc: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] Help with ICE38 and KeyPath installing to a folder on
the Desktop

Paul McLaughlin wrote:
test.wxs(18) : error LGHT0204 : ICE38: Component idTestProgram installs to user
profile.
It must use a registry key under HKCU as its KeyPath, not a file.

I tried learning what KeyPath means, but I can't find anything that really
talks about it in the WiX help file.  Many topics refer to it, but I can't find
what ICE38 is and why I need a registry key, and I still don't know what a
KeyPath means.

WiX doesn't do much on documenting MSI concepts; for those, you want/need the
MSI SDK. KeyPath is a column in the Component table:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa368007(VS.85).aspx.

See
http://robmensching.com/blog/archive/2007/04/27/How-to-create-an-uninstall-shortcut-and-pass-all-the.aspx
 for the oddities of ICEs and resources installed into the user profile.

--

sig://boB

http://joyofsetup.com/