Hi wix-users,

I noticed a bug/issue when using the WixUI containing a feature
customization dialog and when not installing to the default location.

The "INSTALLDIR" is not initialized to the previous location used when
performing a "Change" installation, when additional features are
installed they will be installed to the default location rather than
the previously used overwritten location.

QUESTION 1: "Storing INSTALLDIR"

It looks like the suggested solution is to store ARPINSTALLLOCATION
property with INSTALLDIR just after CostFinalize (though there are
several different suggestions for exactly when to do this).

i.e.
  <!-- Set up ARPINSTALLLOCATION property -->
  <CustomAction Id="SetARPINSTALLLOCATION"
Property="ARPINSTALLLOCATION" Value="[INSTALLDIR]" />

  <!-- Sequences -->
  <InstallExecuteSequence>
    <Custom Action="SetARPINSTALLLOCATION" After="CostFinalize"></Custom>
  </InstallExecuteSequence>

Is this correct?

QUESTION 2:  "Initializing INSTALLDIR"

How do I initialize the INSTALLDIR to this value when doing an
maintenance installation? (I've seen some folk mention "set INSTALLDIR
to the value published by MsiGetProductInfo at the beginning of the
upgrade")

How do I actually do this in wxs?

Many thanks, David

Comment for wix-devs: It may make sense to have this use-case better
supported/documented, rather than having to resort to CAs and the
like?

(For an example of this bug in the wild: Orca.MSI (v3.1.4000.1830) has
this same issue.)