1)

I'm assuming by 'registry key' you mean any value/data pair. The 'key' is
strictly a container for values (one of which can be the default value). If
the key is empty - contains no values and the default value has no data -
then Windows Installer deletes the key.

To keep values even after all products installing that value have been
uninstalled, mark the component which contains the value as Permanent. This
will have the effect of preserving the key path and all the other resources
in the component.

2)

Declare all the registry values you need. Windows Installer will write all
registry values in a Component if the key path for that component needs to
be updated. If the key path is a file, the component will be installed if
the file is missing, if the file already installed doesn't have a version
number and a version number is recorded in the File table, if the file
already installed hasn't been modified if no version number is recorded, or
if the version in the File table is newer. For registry values, if the key
or value is missing or the value data is different from the data in the
package, the component is considered out-of-date and Windows Installer will
install the whole component (files, registry values, etc, etc).

I recommend that you treat registry values that you install as being
immutable, changeable only by the next version of your installer. I believe
there's a risk that user customizations could be overwritten by repairs or
upgrades if installed registry values are edited. Stick to the bare minimum
required to allow the components to be located - do the rest in initial
program startup.

--
Mike Dimmick