I have the following problems.

I need to install two different components:

*         ONE is basically a server control application, with a website,
possibly a database and definitely a windows service that does all the logic.

*         TWO is a server control agent that works together with the first
server.

Now, for some reason naturally the server the server system is installed on
also CAN contain the agent. This is not a prerequisite, but it is an "easy"
case. In fact, the light version of the server (not licensed) will ONLY use a
named pipe transport to talk to an agent locally on the same system. In fact,
due to certain operations of the server (tracking memory usage, CPU usage) it
makes sense to always install the agent also on the local system.

For easy setup I would rather not have the server installer be totally separate
from the agent installer. My idea is to have the installers integrated, so that
the server ALSO installs the agent, but does so in a way that blocks agent
installs.

Any way to do so? Or is the only sensible way in the MSI world (in the way MSI
is supposed to work) call the agent installer from the server installer then?

Please  note that maintainability is NOT my concern - as agent and server talk
a special protocol and have to be in sync, it makes no sense to patch the agent
alone.

What is the recommended way to handle this?