Simon Topley wrote:

> We have recently been having issues with our COM interface and the
> finger was pointed at the installers as ever. It seems in vista being
> logged in as an Administrator doesn't mean what it once did. Most
> programs are run by default as a user, you have to right click and "run
> as administrator" then sign you name in blood and answer a phone in
> central park within 5 minutes. When our software is run by a user it
> uses some other virtual store hive that obviously doesn't contain the
> COM registration for our product. All is well if you run as
> administrator.

> I suspect that I am registering the interfaces incorrectly. I'm adding
> all of the details manually (CLSID, TYPELIB blah blah blah) maybe there
> is a COM registration component I'm not aware of that would take care of
> this. If not then I'm not sure where the fix should be, should I be
> adding this data to the registry with different permission levels or is
> the problem in the software in the way we read from the registry (with a
> KEY_READ which gets no redirection or KEY_ALL_ACCESS which gets the
> redirection and make KEY_READ kind of pointless)

Hi,

Even though you are local admin on your machine, the process must be
"elevated".
For MSI, you get prompted for the elevation (correct me if I'm wrong).
However,
If you run any other process that attempts to register those DLLs without
elevation,
then the keys get registered in the virtual store.  I highly recommend you
delete any
entries in your virtual store that are related to your current installation
because the
virtualstore takes precedence over the real entries.  For example,

You register x.dll without enough privilege
It gets registered to your virtualstore
x.dll gets updated
You register x.dll *with* privilege
It get registered to your HKLM.
When your app runs, it will reference your virtualstore and never touch
HKLM.
solution:  delete the entry in your virtualstore and your HKLM will be
referenced.

That's what I found from my experience.  So be aware that if anything gets
installed without enough privilege, you have to go and clean up that mess.

I've struggled without migration to Vista, and so that was one of the
lessons I learned.

Good luck.

Roy