From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Mike Murray
Sent: Friday, March 21, 2008 3:56 PM
To: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [WiX-users] Pyro and .mst File

Hey everyone,

I was looking through the WiX Help (wix.chm) and found a nifty diagram called
the WiX Toolset Interaction Diagram (under About WiX | Tools and Concepts).  In
the diagram it shows you can take a .mst transform file and convert it into a
.msp patch installer using the Pyro utility.  Can anyone tell me how this is
done and what command line parameters you would use?

To give some background, I have created an MSI installer using VS 2008 and now
I need to patch the installation.  So I updated the source and rebuilt another
updated MSI installer.  Then I used the MSIMSP.exe utility in the Windows SDK
Toolkit to create an .msp patch installer.  It is functional, but I would like
to modify some UI elements of this automatically created .msp file.  I found
some neat Windows Installer db editor called appEditor from
http://www.camwood.com/.  I loaded up the auto-generated .msp file and it
pulled out the .mst transform file.  Then I it told me to select the base
transform, so I assumed it meant the original version of the .msi installer.
When it came up, I was able to look at the dialog screens and it looks like I
will be able to edit some of the strings and other UI elements.

So anyway, now I'm thinking I will be able to save the modified .mst file and
somehow get it back into the .msp file.  I will keep looking around the Camwood
application for a way to reconstitute the .msp, but I am wondering if there is
an alternate way using the Pyro utility.  I have the .mst file (for some reason
there is a targetToupgrade.mst and a #targetToupgrade.mst) and then there are 7
.cab files (with their filenames being a bunch of square characters for some
reason).  Will the Pyro utility work for me at all?

Thank you in advance.

Mike