Our solution is a hybrid between Installshield and WiX.  We create a
basic project in Installshield and specify all the prerequisites +
supported languages.  This gives us the bootstrapper plus an
Installshield msi & localized transform files (mst).

We replace these msi and mst files with the ones that our CI server
builds via WiX.

The bootstrapper part only needs updating occasionally so we're happy to
author it manually, whereas the WiX msi gets built automatically every
day.

Kind regards,

Tim