I'm using the Wix 3 patching system (vs the system requiring msimsp) and
running into an issue when I try to patch on a French-language Windows;
basically it just refuses, I get an error saying the patch is not valid (and
no log is created, if I'm logging).  But I can use this VERY SAME PATCH to
patch the very same package on an English version of Windows.  We went and
switched to using the msimsp way of doing it, and that seems to generate a
patch that makes the French Windows much happier.  Is this just a symptom of
Wix 3 patches being Not Ready For Prime-Time?  (I can understand that, since
2.0 is, IIRC The Official Release).  I'm just wondering if I've done
something obviously strange; I can find no spot to put a language into the
Patch elements (although I DID make sure to set the product code).  The
msi's are all English, and work ok on both French and English.  It's JUST
the patch, and ONLY if generated with torch, pyro and friends.

In a slightly related (patching v3) issue, does Pyro use the Media Id for
the starting sequence number for patch files?  Because we ran into an issue
where we were adding components to a feature in a patch, and it seemed to do
a bad job of it, and looking at the patch transform with ORCA the sequence
numbers seemed … off.  Within the range of the other files, and they in fact
seemed to start at 1+ the Media Id…

If anyone knows that I'm doing something obviously wrong, please let me
know; if they appear to be bugs, I can definitely try to come up with repro
cases (at least for the second; a patch for the second case would just plain
not-work on a French OS) if this would help, and file the appropriate bug
reports.

Thanks!

Chris