Hi!

Since I don't use elevation within my systray application, I don't have
any problem with tray shut-down on uninstall. However, AFAIK on Vista, a
process with lower-level privilege cannot:
a) Perform a window handle validation of higher process privilege.
b) Use the SendMessage or PostMessage APIs to manipulate higher
privilege application windows. The APIs return successfully but silently
remove the Windows message.
c) ...

I think you are facing the problem described within b).

In this case, you should use the ChangeWindowMessageFilter function
within the elevated process to explicitly allow a process with lower
integrity level (uninstaller) to post a message to it. I think a call to
something like

ChangeWindowMessageFilter( WM_CLOSE, MSGFLT_ADD );

within your systray application should do. Some more details can be
found at
http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista/en/library/e6be149b-e391-48a4-bebe-d8b5ca5d01311033.mspx?mfr=true

Please note that I didn't try this.... so please let me know if it will
work for you.

Btw., be aware of the fact that ChangeWindowMessageFilter function is
only defined on Vista so if your systray is supposed to run on Windows
XP for example, keep this in mind.

Cheers,
   Boris