>From my understanding of the documentation here
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa369546(VS.85).aspx If you are
doing a quiet install or haven't defined a filesinuse dialog with the
appropriate controls, the default behaviour is equivalent to selecting
ignore.   That is, windows installer overwrites what files it can, renames
and replaces other files, and schedules a reboot.  What I am aiming to do is
instead just fail and exit the installation immediately.
I have conceived a few ways to get around this but I'm not sure if some are
even feasable.

The most straightforward that I can think of is to bump up a UILevel or two
and define my own filesinuse dialog with only an exit ControlEvent defined.
 If I could make it hidden and apply the action immediately that would be
awesome.

Alternatively I could create a CA that rolled back the upgrade conditionally
depending upon ReplacedInUseFiles.  I think this might be set too late in
the sequence though, and I'm not sure how I'd do the rollback anyway.

Third catch INSTALLMESSAGE_FILESINUSE directly and return an error somehow,
which seems very un-Wixy.

Any help appreciated,
Tim