Hrm, I didn't think that was the case, but I am using a custom UI and thought maybe I was somehow screwing up the timing with that. To be safe I switched to WixUI_Minimal UI and tried things out. Still no luck. I've become so upset over the whole thing that I spent the evening rewriting the core part of my installer with NSIS instead of WiX. And guess what, I get the EXACT same behavior! (DLL registers correctly when UAC is disabled, but not if the user has to allow elevated permissions).

I have NO idea how to fix this, apparently I've messed up something good. :( I think I'm going to attempt to automatically cancel the install if the user is running the UAC. This is a terrible, terrible solution but I don't know where else to turn...

Colin

Kelly Leahy wrote:

It sounds like your registration is happening in the wrong 'stage' of the install... Just because you're elevated in some places, it doesn't mean the entire run of the install is elevated. I think the elevation only occurs during the installexecutesequence, and only during the server side part of it, and maybe not even the whole thing.

I'm sure this comment isn't all that helpful, but maybe it will point you in the right direction. Can you actually tell where the registration is sequenced?

Kelly

*Colin Bleckner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>*

Sent by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

05/27/2008 05:04 PM

        Neil Enns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
cc
"[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Kelly Leahy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net" <wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject
        Re: [WiX-users] Create EXE wrapper around my MSI?

I was finally able to wrap my MSI with an EXE installer and run my installer with elevated permissions. And, of course, my installer still fails to register my DLL correctly (I guess that's what I get for trying to avoid the root problem...).

Anyone have any ideas how a DLL can register correctly when UAC is disabled but fail when running with elevated permissions? Is there a difference between running with UAC disabled and running with elevated permissions?

Colin

Colin Bleckner wrote:
Ah, I've never heard of iexpress. Seems simple and pretty much perfect, except that it doesn't seem to recognize an MSI file as a valid file to run as the "Install Program" entry. My MSI doesn't show up in the dropdown list and typing the name manually ends up with an error during the actual install (I also tried "call MyFile.msi" as the Install Program, but no such luck).

Has anyone triggered an MSI file from iexpress before? I guess I could attempt to figure out where it unpacks the files and hardcode that path into my Install Program line, but that sounds like a terrible idea... :)

Colin