I'm trying to convert a VB6 msi build from Wise to Wix and ran afoul of
Heat and Tallow and trying to tell which of the Reg entries it extracts
matter to the wxs fragment.

Research led me to the  June 07 thread in the Wix forum between
Richard.Foster, Neil Sleightholm, Mark Cheyne and others.  I'm using
this as a guide line. I have not hacked out any of the Tallow generated
registry entries the message thread refers to yet.

 I added the necessary <EnsureTable> entries to Wix and am at the
difficult point where the msi builds but there is an application error
trying to initialize an OLE object.  The destination OLE is present and
works as expected from other applications.

I have not added the VB6 msm's to the WIix project yet because there are
other VB6 applications installed on the system so the files should
already be present.

The target OS is XP with SP2 (which ought to include all the VB run time
files).  I'm using Wix 3.3907 except for Tallow from Wix 2 because I
think it's pulling better data from the Registry than Heat.

I'm undecided whether to spend time commenting out registry entries and
testing builds, start adding VB6 merge modules to the Wix project, or,
stay with Wise for VB6 apps.

Suggestions?

Blaine Wheeler

SEMS Operations

360.664.5416

"It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right."

Moliere