From: Amy Rosewater <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [WiX-users] DTF - Invalid data received from remote MSI function
invocation
To: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Date: Friday, June 6, 2008, 10:22 AM

I have recently converted a custom action in my install to use DTF and
C#.  This specific custom action is launched from a dialog and confirms
various things about SQL Server credentials, permissions, version etc.
that were entered by the user on that dialog.

When I execute this install on a Windows Server 2003 machine with SP1,
it is currently executing correctly.  When I execute on a Windows Server
2003 machine with SP2, I get the error "Invalid data received from
remote MSI function invocation".  I had been seeing this message on both
machines before, but have since stopped seeing it on the SP1 machine.
When I could reproduce this exception on the SP1 machine and I debugged
into the custom action code it was executing code to get a value from a
property out of the session at a point where it had already gotten
several property values exactly the same way without any issue, and also
set property values in the session.

string myProperty = session["MYPROPERTY"];

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Amy