Sounds like a bug in there somewhere.  Can you log it?

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Mike Rerick
Sent: Wednesday, June 25, 2008 16:15
To: General discussion for Windows Installer XML toolset.
Subject: [WiX-users] Bug in dark.exe?

I am de-compiling a MSI generated with InstallShield 11.5.  I got an error on
table CustomAction.

I also found this link to the same problem:

http://www.nabble.com/--wix-Bugs-1976057---dark-fails-on-Wise-MSI-due-to-Une
xpectedColumnCount-td17552116.html

When I look at the InstallShield MSI file with Orca, The CustomAction table
looks just fine.

I was using Wix 3.0.4214 and got the following error (and no .wxs file was
generated):

"C:\Program Files\WixEdit\wix-3.0.4214.0\dark" DB.msi DB.wxs -x db

Microsoft (R) Windows Installer Xml Decompiler version 3.0.4214.0

DB.msi

C:\Program Files\WixEdit\wix-3.0.4214.0\WixDifxAppExtension.dll : error
DARK0143

 : A parsed tuple has more fields for table 'CustomAction' than are defined.
This

 is potentially because a standard table is being redefined as a custom table.

I then tried with Wix 3.0.4014 and got the following (and a .wxs file was
generated):

"C:\Program Files\WixEdit\wix-3.0.4014.0\dark" DB.msi DB.wxs -x db

Microsoft (R) Windows Installer Xml Decompiler version 3.0.4014.0

Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 2003. All rights reserved.

DB.msi

dark.exe : warning DARK1065 : The AdvtUISequence table is not supported by the W

iX toolset because it has been deprecated by the Windows Installer team.
Any in

formation in this table will be left out of the decompiled output.

DB\DB.msi : warning DARK1060 :

The ISSQLConnection table is being decompiled as a custom table.

DB\DB.msi : warning DARK1060 :

The ISSQLDBMetaData table is being decompiled as a custom table.

DB\DB.msi : warning DARK1060 :

The ISSQLConnectionDBServer table is being decompiled as a custom table.

DB\DB.msi : warning DARK1060 :

The ISSQLScriptFile table is being decompiled as a custom table.

DB\DB.msi : warning DARK1060 :

The ISSQLConnectionScript table is being decompiled as a custom table.

DB\DB.msi : warning DARK1060 :

The ISSQLScriptReplace table is being decompiled as a custom table.

DB\DB.msi : warning DARK1062 :

The ModuleComponents table can only be represented in WiX for merge modules.
Th

e information in this table will be left out of the decompiled output.

DB.msi : warning DARK1066 :

The Patch table is not directly supported by the WiX toolset because it belongs

in a patch (msp) file.  This table can be indirectly created by making a patch c

reation (pcp) file using WiX, then using PatchWiz to create a patch (msp) file.

 Any information in this table will be left out of the decompiled output.

DB\DB.msi : warning DARK1066 :

The PatchPackage table is not directly supported by the WiX toolset because it b

elongs in a patch (msp) file.  This table can be indirectly created by making a

patch creation (pcp) file using WiX, then using PatchWiz to create a patch
(msp)

 file.  Any information in this table will be left out of the decompiled output.

dark.exe : warning DARK1058 : The AdminExecuteSequence table contains an action

'ScheduleReboot' which is not allowed in this table.  If this is a standard acti

on then it is not valid for this table, if it is a custom action or dialog then

this table does not accept actions of that type.  This action will be left out o

f the decompiled output.

dark.exe : warning DARK1058 : The AdvtExecuteSequence table contains an action '

RegisterTypeLibraries' which is not allowed in this table.  If this is a standar

d action then it is not valid for this table, if it is a custom action or dialog

 then this table does not accept actions of that type.  This action will be left

 out of the decompiled output.

dark.exe : warning DARK1058 : The AdvtExecuteSequence table contains an action '

ScheduleReboot' which is not allowed in this table.  If this is a standard actio

n then it is not valid for this table, if it is a custom action or dialog then t

his table does not accept actions of that type.  This action will be left out of

 the decompiled output.

Mike Rerick

Sr. Software Engineer - Professional Services

  <blocked::http://www.iwsinc.com/>

9200 S.E. Sunnybrook Blvd., Suite 170

Clackamas, OR   97015

Phone: (503) 353-8068    Fax: (503) 353-8065

The information contained in this transmission contains potentially privileged,
export controlled and/or confidential information of Imageware Systems, Inc. or
its customers or partners.  It is intended only to be read by the person(s)
named above and for no other purpose.  You are hereby notified that any
dissemination, distribution, duplication of this communication or use of its
contents for any purpose not authorized expressly by Imageware Systems, Inc. is
strictly prohibited and could lead to both civil and/or criminal penalties.  If
you are not the intended recipient, you are prohibited to review the contents
herein and please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of
the original message.  To reply to our e-mail administrator directly, please
send an e-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]