Yes, #1 is a really annoying problem that IIRC is a problem in the VS systems
below Votive.  That's why the bug still exists... the fix is "non-trivial".

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of James Minnis
Sent: Sunday, July 13, 2008 15:06
To: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [WiX-users] Questions about WiX V3

I installed the latest beta of WiX 3 because I want to use the Visual Studio
integration.  I've run into some problems getting started.  I'm hoping that
I can get some assistance.

1) The text of error messages are not being displayed in VS 2005.  When the
build fails, I have to build from a command line to actually read the build
error.  This is a known bug that I read about in other messages in the list
archive, but it is extremely frustrating for someone trying to get started
with WiX.

2) I'd like to have a UI in my installer.  To get started, I was going to
use the WixUI.  Following the samples for WiX 2, I included the following:

<UIRef Id="WixUI_InstallDir" />

Light outputs:

Product.wxs(45) : error LGHT0094 : Unresolved reference to symbol
'WixUI:WixUI_InstallDir' in section
'Product:{6D829382-8D41-43C9-AC80-7B98DA1BBD72}'.

How do I reference WixUI?  Or has it been removed?

I suppose I could build my own dialogs in an RC file and then use Tallow to
create WiX dialogs.  Which brings me to #3.

3) Is Tallow still a part of WiX 3?  The executable is not anywhere in the
installation.  Are its features now included somewhere else?

-Jamey