I'm sure this has been discussed before but I couldn't find anything
searching the mailing list archive. My apologies if you guys have seen
this many times.

I have a relatively small application .msi installer based on WiX
(9.6MB). I distribute it wrapped in a bootstrap executable. Everything
works great, but I'm greatly annoyed that after all the work I went
through to digitally sign the .msi, .exe, and the application itself,
when the user does an uninstall on Windows Vista with UAC enabled, the
user gets a UAC warning about an unsigned program wanting access to
their computer. This makes my installer/uninstaller look highly
unprofessional. I think I know the general reason for this. That is, I
expect that Windows Installer builds an abbreviated version of my .msi
installer and caches it to use for the uninstall, repair, etc. However,
Windows Installer can't digitally sign it on my behalf (or anyone else's
for that matter) so it generates the ugliest of UAC warnings.

So, is there some way around this? I'm thinking that since my installer
is only 9.6MB, perhaps I can signal Windows Installer to cache my .msi
as is? Or perhaps someone could otherwise point me in the right
direction? Perhaps I should save a copy of my .msi in my install folder
and then somehow point Windows Installer to it for the uninstall?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Quinton Tormanen

Software Engineer

Delta Computer Systems, Inc.