I don't know the answer to #2, but as to #1 (Pyro actually creates the deltas,
based on what is in the wixmst(s) passed to it) (this is accurate as of ~ 6
months ago, Peter please correct me if I am wrong on any changes to the
wixpdbs), there are two possibilities:

1) wixpdb is a binary wixout: Can be as a result of using dark, or as a result
of binding using binary wixouts from linking with the -bf and -xo parameters.
Torch passes the files used to create the deltas from the wixpdbs passed in to
the wixmst (making a binary wixmst). Note that it is possible for one of the
two wixpdbs to have been binary and the other to not be, in which case the
wixmst contains the files from the binary wixpdb and filespecs from the
non-binary wixpdb. Note further that it is possible to create wixpdbs (or any
wixout, for that matter) with a mix of included and referenced binaries, but
most of the time you get all one or all the other.

2) wixpdb is not a binary wixout: Results of linking and binding in one step.
Torch passes the filespecs (path to the files) from the wixpdb in the wixmst.

Pyro will use whatever it is passed (included files or filepaths) to get the
two versions of the files it will create the delta patches for.

What I recommend is: link with -xo and -bf to produce a binary (bound) wixout
(using light). Bind with the binary wixout (using light again) to create the
MSI if needed. Store the resulting wixpdb for use in creating MSPs in later
builds. Otherwise, you will have to recreate or restore the old files in the
exact same file locations as they were when you created the wixpdb, and the new
wixpdb will have to be created in a different file location. Hard to do with
most centralized build systems.

In your later build, if you don't need to create both an MSI and an MSP
configuring the same version (hope you don't) then you may not have to create a
binary (bound) wixpdb for the upgrade case, otherwise build it the same way.
Pass both wixpdbs to torch, and pyro will use the files in the generated wixmst
file to generate the deltas.

At least that is the way it was working when I added it to WiX.

-Blair