In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
    "Shawn Dwyer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  writes:

> This seems like a simple thing to do, but I am new to patches and don't know
> where to start.  How do I go about authoring a patch to remove launch
> conditions?

Make an administrative image of your deployed product.

Make a copy of this administrative image.  In the copy, use Orca to
remove the offending launch conditions.

Then use patchwiz.dll and msimsp to create a patch that transforms the
deployed image to the updated image.  This involves creating a patch
creation properties (PCP) file, which is just an MSI with some tables
defining the patch properties.  You feed the PCP file to msimsp and it
grinds its way through the two images to produce the patch as an MSP
file.

I'd suggest reading the SDK documentation on patching and doing some
experiments with this before you deploy any patches you generate.
Also, make sure your image passes ICEs properly before generating the
patch -- if the ICEs fail, its most likely going to cause problems
with the patch.  You'll have to incorporate any changes in the updated
image to correct the ICE errors along with removing the launch
conditions.

I'd also recommend reading the chapter in "The Definitive Guide to
Windows Installer" on servicing and upgrades.  It has additional
information that helps make the process clear.

Don't rely on InstallSUCK documentation; it is woefully inadequate.