I don't understand why Microsoft expects anybody to bother with .NET
Client Profile?

I am not saying that the idea in itself is bad. It is just too little
too late. In fact so little and so late that I think that it is really
lame, despite the accolades that independent recycling of MS whitepapers
and manuals online blogosphere awarded it.

First, targeting .NET Framework-free XP for download/install
optimizations is lame. I had to use Virtual PC to create such a setup,
after talking to at least 50 people who run real-life machines. XP +
Framework version 2 and Vista + Framework version 3 are the norm. The
latter one in particular because that is how Vista is distributed. Most
of the machines that have no .NET Framework installed by now are in the
first place not capable of running any programs that require .NET 3.5
SP1 because they typically have less than 1 GB of memory.

Second, why doesn't Microsoft install the latest .NET Framework as the
part of OS updates?

When I chain my MSI with Client Profile installer, and it is not that
special XP client machine that has no Framework installed at all, I am
saying to my customers: look how lame my setup is! I present it to you
and claim that it is essentially mine even if all the slowness and all
the lameness (progress bars that don't move for 15 minutes or half an
hour, etc.) is due to Microsoft.