In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
    "Yu, Brian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  writes:

> I read section 8 of http://www.tramontana.co.hu/wix/lesson8.php but
> there's no mention on how to write a dialog box that prompts for user
> name and password and use them to register COM+.

Its never a good idea to prompt users for credentials at install time.
Its a bad security practice and it leads to coupling of your product
with credentials for some account, both of which may be changed or
deleted and cause your product to start failing unexpectedly and
strangely.

You are better off creating accounts that can't be used as interactive
logins, setting their credentials (username/password) explicitly and
then setting the COM+ component to run as this newly created identity.
Add priveleges, permissions and group membership to the newly created
identity in order to give it the necessary permissions it needs to do
its work.

A system administrator is much more likely to understand your
configuration when browsing the newly created credential because it
has a description of what it does: "Foo Inc. Processing Service
Login".

Any decent system administrator should resist random credential
queries from programs they are installing.  In fact, if any program
asked me to enter credentials at install time, I'd be unlikely to
recommend it to any serious outfit.