If you have some 64-bit files going into System32, I think you need to
mark the installer as 64-bit.  Otherwise the files won't go to the right
directory.

I was able to accomplish this using a transform and a custom
bootstrapper.  I compile my MSI once for each CPU type (x86, x64), then
create a transform from the x86 to the x64 version.  The bootstrapper
then contains my x86 MSI along with the transform to change it to x64.
My bootstrapper then applies the transform at runtime to the MSI on a
64-bit OS.   The Summary information (where the platform flag is stored
in the MSI) is not updated by the transform, so you need to call the MSI
API's to change the summary information as well.  At this point your
temp MSI should match the original x64 MSI you built.

Thanks,
Mike Ballou