If anyone does figure it out, it'd be good to understand what is going on.  I
don't know VB (let alone VB6) and things work great for my C++/ATL based COM
objects.

-----Original Message-----
From: Troy Howard [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, September 29, 2008 19:22
To: General discussion for Windows Installer XML toolset.
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] COM registration weirdness

Hi Jim,

Did you ever figure this out?

I'm in basically the same situation. I have a VB6 application that uss
numerous third party COM DLLs, and some in-house .Net COM DLLs. I've
included all the appropriate bits of WiX code (AFAICT), but the registration
doesn't seem to be effective. Running regsvr32 and regasm on the assemblies
after installer gets everything working though.

At this point, I'm thinking I'll have to run a batch file at the end of the
install to call regsvr32/regasm just to the the thing out the door on
schedule.

I'm in the process of migrating from an existing Installshield setup to WiX,
and we did it with a batch file in the IS installer. One of the big things
were were hoping to get out of WiX was to make this happen correctly,
instead of with a "duct tape" batch file.

Does anyone have an insight that I might be missing?

My basic process for getting the WiX code for this was to run heat again the
files, generating a wxs, then edit those wxs fragments to compile correctly.
This involved moving the class/progid/typelib/interface declarations inside
of the file tag, and removing extra registry keys that were in conflict with
those tags (IE. removing tags like
<RegistryValue Root="HKCR"
Key="CLSID\{082EE6CC-A371-37A6-BF8A-090D9BD50A10}\InprocServer32"
Value="mscoree.dll" Type="string" Action="write" />)... etc.

Thanks,
Troy