It's both.

The application is written in VB6. It uses COM DLLs written in various
languages, including C++, VB6, and .NET. The installer needs to be able to
register all of these things.

The non-.Net COM DLLs seem to be doing alright with the SelfRegCost
attribute applied, but now the .Net DLLs are having trouble. I've tried
various ways to get them working.

What I'm currently looking at is the RegisterClassInfo/ProgID/TypeLib
actions. I opened the MSI up in ORCA, and realized that they are not in my
InstallExecuteSequence table. That makes sense why it wasn't working with
Class/Progid etc elements in the components. The action was never getting
called that dealt with those things. I assumed those actions would be
included, and that I didn't to explicitly add them. I'm going to give it a
try with the "correct" methodology again, this time with the correct actions
in the sequence and see if that does the trick. If so, I can get rid of the
self registration stuff, AND the duct tape batch file full of regasm calls.

Conveniently, re-ghosting the test box and building the installer take about
the same amount of time.. >sigh<

This application is a beast, and the installer has to tame it. What a
project.... At least I have a nice view of downtown Portland at night from
the 11th floor of this building.

Thanks,
Troy