> I have a VS 2008 solution with a DTF project and a WiX
> project which uses my DTF custom action DLL.  I have manually
> set the project dependencies such that the DTF project builds
> before the WiX project.
>
> Theoretically, a change in the custom action code in the DTF
> project should trigger a rebuild of the MSI.  However, I'm
> observing that this does not happen.  I find I have to clean
> the solution and do a full rebuild anytime I change my DTF
> custom action.
>
> Perhaps this is "by design" but it does not seem like the way
> it should work.  Can anyone comment?

Brian,

I've had this with my C++ CA DLL - I ended up modifying wix.targets in
C:\Program Files\MSBuild\Microsoft\WiX\v3.0 and adding my own variable
$(MyExtraLinkBinaries) to the Inputs list of the Link target:

  <Target
    Name="Link"
    Inputs="@(CompileObjOutput);
            @(EmbeddedResource);
            @(WixObject);
            @(WixLibrary);
            @(WixExtension);
            $(MSBuildAllProjects);
            $(MyExtraLinkBinaries)"        <!-- ---- this is extra ---- -->
        ... />

I then added the output of my CA DLL to that variable in my .wixproj file:

  <PropertyGroup>

<MyExtraLinkBinaries>$(MyExtraLinkBinaries);..\CustomActions\$(Configuration)\CustomActions.dll</MyExtraLinkBinaries>
  </PropertyGroup>

Regards,
John