Hi,

I am trying to wrap my <Fragment> contents inside a <ComponentGroup> like
this forum post says:

http://n2.nabble.com/Multiple-Wxs-Merge-in-Visual-Studio--td701023.html#a701
024

I am still unsure of the best design for this, but I would ideally like the
main installer to be the only place where the APPLICATIONROOTDIRECTORY is
specified.

So I have one wxs file with a fragment like this:

<Wix xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/2006/wi";>

  <Fragment>

    <ComponentGroup Id="Project1Files" >

      <ComponentRef Id="component1" />

      <ComponentRef Id=" component2" />

    </ComponentGroup>

    <DirectoryRef Id=" APPLICATIONROOTDIRECTORY ">

      <Component Id="component1" Guid="F9971885-8150-476C-86AE-EC693A59C8DF"
DiskId="1">

        </Component>

    </DirectoryRef>

  </Fragment>

</Wix>

Then I have the main wxs file like this:

<Product>

<Directory Id="TARGETDIR" Name="SourceDir">

    <Directory Id="ProgramFilesFolder">

        <Directory Id="INSTALLDIR" Name="MyCompany">

                <Directory Id="APPLICATIONROOTDIRECTORY"
Name="MyApplication" />

        </Directory>

    </Directory>

</Directory>

<Feature Id="ProductFeature" Title="My Application" Level="1"
ConfigurableDirectory=" APPLICATIONROOTDIRECTORY ">

                <ComponentGroupRef Id=" Project1Files " />

</Feature>

</Product>

This results in a compilation error: "Duplicate symbol
'WixComponentGroup:Project1Files' found."

What is the issue here - have they been included due to both the
DirectoryRef and also the Feature?  I am not sure how to bundle the
Components into the ComponentGroup without including them in a directory, as
they expect a directory to be set.

Also, should the <Directory Id="APPLICATIONROOTDIRECTORY"
Name="MyApplication" /> definition contain anything if all the contents have
already been added via the Fragments?

Thanks