First I feel your pain I am doing something similar. The way I see it,
WiX installs the application, the bootstrapper is for prerequisites that
may or may not be on your destination PC. Yes you could use NSIS for all
of this but you will get a better application installer using Windows
Installer at the cost of needing a separate bootstrapper (until WiX 3.5
delivers burn).

As far as creating non-English is concerned I am doing this be making
the CAB file external to the install e.g.:
        <Media Id="1" Cabinet="Setup.cab" EmbedCab="no" />

Then I build each of the language variants using the light command line
option -cultures e.g. "-cultures:es-es;en-us" for Spanish. What I end up
with is a number of small msi's each with a different name all referring
to the same Setup.cab file.

Then in my bootstrapper I determine the local language and run the
appropriate msi.

As for a localised .Net install in my experience I only ever install the
English version, I believe that the localisation of .Net only applies to
the installation so if you run it silently, as you normally do in a
bootstrapper, this doesn't matter. I could be wrong on this but we ship
a range of languages and have never noticed a problem.

I hope this helps.

Neil