Hi all,

I'm new to WiX and I'm trying to create a test install for a single file
with a shortcut in the "All Users" profile.

The file I'm installing is going to %programfiles%\Company\Product and I
want to place a shortcut in %allusersprofile%\Desktop.

I've done a lot of googling and searched the archives for this mailing list
and it seems that everyone who has had a similar problem has been directed
http://robmensching.com/blog/archive/2007/04/27/How-to-create-an-uninstall-shortcut-and-pass-all-the.aspx,
but I can't see how that post solves the issue - it installs shortcuts to
the current user's profile using a RegistryValue as the KeyPath (I already
did this to create a per-user test install) but doesn't show how to install
shortcuts to the "All Users" profile in a per-machine install.

Here is my very simple product.wxs:

<Wix xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/2006/wi";>
  <Product Id="{PUT-GUID-HERE}" Name="Product" Language="1033" Version="
1.0.0.0" Manufacturer="Company" UpgradeCode="{PUT-GUID-HERE}">
    <Package InstallerVersion="200" Compressed="yes"/>
    <Media Id="1" Cabinet="TestApp.cab" EmbedCab="yes"/>
    <Property Id="ALLUSERS" Value="1"/>

    <Directory Id="TARGETDIR" Name="SourceDir">
      <Directory Id="ProgramFilesFolder">
        <Directory Id="CompanyFolder" Name="Company">
          <Directory Id="APPLICATIONROOTDIRECTORY" Name="Product"/>
        </Directory>
      </Directory>
      <Directory Id="DesktopFolder"/>
    </Directory>

    <DirectoryRef Id="APPLICATIONROOTDIRECTORY">
      <Component Id="TestApp" Guid="{PUT-GUID-HERE}">
        <File Source="Product.exe" KeyPath="yes" Checksum="yes" Vital="yes">
          <Shortcut Id="TestAppShortcut" Name="Product"
Directory="DesktopFolder"/>
        </File>
      </Component>
    </DirectoryRef>

    <Feature Id="MainApplication" Title="Main Application" Level="1"
Absent="disallow" AllowAdvertise="no">
      <ComponentRef Id="TestApp"/>
    </Feature>
  </Product>
</Wix>

I've set ALLUSERS=1 and this should cause the DesktopFolder property to
point to the desktop folder in the "All Users" profile on the target
machine.

I get the following errors from light.exe:

error LGHT0204: ICE43: Component TestApp has non-advertised shortcuts. It
should use a registry key under HKCU as its KeyPath, not a file.
error LGHT0204: ICE57: Component 'TestApp' has both per-user and per-machine
data with a per-machine KeyPath.

Surely its possible to install non-advertised shortcuts to the "All Users"
profile...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt.