Rob, it's not like I haven't been putting my own time into solving this as
well. I spent the entire day today working on this problem, attempting to
find the solution by scouring the internet and coming up with my own test
cases. The question started as a simple query concerning the abilities of
WiX, but led to me running into a brick wall concerning existing version
removal. I read through all of the WiX documentation and (so I thought)
relevant MSI documentation as well. However, I didn't think to look up the
ProductVersion property, because out of everything involved in this, that
was the one thing I thought I understood.

How was I to know or even fathom that such a limitation might exist without
prior experience in this area? To me, this is precisely the benefit of
having a community of experienced users who can help to address this kind of
obscure thing.

I apologize for the number of emails. To be honest I'm not entirely used to
dealing with mailing lists, so perhaps I was a little out of line on
etiquette, but alas there was no option of an online forum. Nevertheless I'm
appreciative of all the help I received and hope it wasn't too much of a
burden. The first thing I did before asking any question was to thoroughly
search both the mailing list archive and google for the answer, and only
posted if I couldn't find it.

Somewhat relatedly, and to avoid this particular issue in the future,
perhaps WiX could issue a warning if a version number is supplied with more
than three components. Something to the effect that "any version components
beyond three will be ignored by Windows Installer, so you should not rely on
them to differentiate between versions". I know that definitely would have
helped me out in this case.

Again, sorry for the unintentional abuse of the mailing list.

Logan

Rob Mensching-2 wrote:

> Was reading the MSI SDK out of the question?
>
> Logan, I'm not trying to single you out but there have been a lot of
> questions lately that could be answered or asked better if the people
> asking the questions took the time to read the MSI SDK.  I don't know
> about others here but it feels a little disrespectful to me to ask
> questions that take up our time without spending some of your time up
> front to learn the technology.
>
> The Windows Installer is a very deep and intricate technology.  It should
> be easier and there are probably still many things we can do to improve
> WiX to make learning the Windows Installer easier but we aren't going to
> get there by answering questions that are already answered in the existing
> documentation.
>
> That said, if you learn something and have a suggestion how we can improve
> the WiX toolset to help the next person learn faster, I would be very
> interested in hearing those suggestions.
>
> Thanks.

-----
A. Logan Murray
http://pihole.org/