If there are issues they are in the Windows Installer since they provide the
tool for validation.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ian Elliott (Excell Data Corporation) [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 08:49
To: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [WiX-users] error LGHT0217 - The Windows Installer Service could not
be accessed

Hi,

We've recently seen the following error sometimes in builds.  When we retry the
build leg, the error disappears.
We've caught the error on different build machines with different products
where 3.0/2.0 wix are used.

Product with 3.0 wix:

1>errors in directory e:\sdaws\main\product\installer\productwebsite

1>e:\sdaws\main\product\installer\productwebsite\light.exe : error LGHT0217 :
Error executing ICE action 'ICE01'. The most common cause of this kind of ICE
failure is an incorrectly registered scripting engine. See
http://wix.sourceforge.net/faq.html#Error217 for details and how to solve this
problem. The following string format was not expected by the external UI
message logger: "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can
occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is
not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance.".

1>e:\sdaws\main\product\installer\productwebsite\urtrun.pl : error "light.exe
-ext WixUtilExtension -ext WixIIsExtension -nologo -wx -out
e:\sdaws\main.obj.amd64fre\product\installer\productwebsite\objfre\amd64\PRODUCTWebService_x64.msi

e:\sdaws\main.obj.amd64fre\product\installer\productwebsite\objfre\amd64\PRODUCTWebSiteInstaller.wixobj"
 => light.exe failed with ExitCode=217

1>NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'e:\SDAWS\MAIN\tools\urtrun.CMD' : return code
'0x1'

e:\SDAWS\MAIN\tools\x86\nmake.exe /nologo BUILDMSG=Stop. /nologo /f
e:\sdaws\main\tools\makefile.def BUILD_PASS=PASS2 LINKONLY=1 NOPASS0=1
MAKEDIR_RELATIVE_TO_BASEDIR=product\installer\productwebsite
MAKEDIR_LOWERCASE=e:\sdaws\main\product\installer\productwebsite failed - rc = 2

Product with 2.0 wix:

5>e:\panorama\main_dev_igx\product\setup\redists\lclient\internal\light.exe :
error LGHT0217 : An unexpected external UI message was received: The Windows
Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running
Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed.
Contact your support personnel for assistance.

Searching on web seems to have something related to ICE validation.

https://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3588567&SiteID=1

Checking "Supress ICE validation" in the WiX project settings solved my issues.

light.exe : error LGHT0217: An unexpected external UI message was received: The
Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are
running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly
installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance.

We're wondering if there is a potential conflict of running multiple Light.exe
on multi-proc machines.  Our build machines are OS 2003, 4-8 CPUs.

Thanks.