What does the verbose log for the install with the User say?  There will be
more details about the User failure than the Service failure (because the
Windows Installer message is generically useless).

-----Original Message-----
From: Foster, Richard - PAL [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, November 03, 2008 12:45
To: 'General discussion for Windows Installer XML toolset.'
Subject: [WiX-users] Service installation using specified user / password.

Greetings all,

Sorry to ask what appears to be a really simple question... But I can get
things to work the way I expect, so clearly I'm missing something.

Part of our product includes two Windows services. Previously, they were
installed under the LocalSystem account, however that account does not give us
permission to access some parts of the system that the next release will
require. No problem, I thought... All I need to do is allow a user / domain /
password to be specified (where that account does have the necessary rights).

I have created a form allowing the account information to be entered (into
SERVICEUSER, SERVICEDOMAIN and SERVICEPASSWORD properties), which seems to be
working correctly. The expectation (at least for now) is that the specified
user will already exist and will not need to be created at installation time.

I have modified the ServiceInstall element to reference those properties. It
now reads as follows:

<ServiceInstall Id="OurService"
Name="!(loc.OurServiceName)_V$(var.MajorRev).$(var.MinorRev).$(var.PatchRev)"
DisplayName="!(loc.OurServiceDisplayName)"
Description="!(loc.OurServiceDescription)" Type="ownProcess" Interactive="no"
Start="auto" Vital="yes" ErrorControl="normal"
Account="[SERVICEDOMAIN]\[SERVICEUSER]" Password="[SERVICEPASSWORD]" />

I thought that would be sufficient, but I got the message "Our Service
(OurService_V1.2.3) could not be installed. Verify that you have sufficient
priveleges to install system services." The user I was attempting to install
the service under did indeed have those permissions, but just to be on the safe
side, I also added the following:

<Util:User Id ='serviceAccount' Name='[SERVICEUSER]'
Password='[SERVICEPASSWORD]' Domain='[SERVICEDOMAIN]' LogonAsService='yes'
UpdateIfExists='yes'/>

Unfortunately, this causes the message "Failed to create user. (-2147024773
{UserName}    )".

Clearly, I have flipped a bozo bit somewhere. Can anyone see where?

Regards,
Richard

P.S. I have tried several builds of WiX with the same result. Currently we are
using version 3.0.4311.0.