It's not in a CA I authored, but in ExecuteSqlStrings I thought.
Here's what I'm working with. msi installs fine and does what i want, then
the msp succeeds (even if i set the patch script's continueonerror="no").
that's the part that's baffling, like it won't even fire off even thought
i've conditioned it to.
(PRECONDITION: NT login is manually created for us on the remote server
prior to running install/patch).
<util:User Id="sysadmin" Name="[DBUSERNAME]" Password="[DBUSERPW]"/>
<DirectoryRef Id="INSTALLDIR">
<Component Id="sql_db_remote_sql" Guid="" SharedDllRefCount="yes">
<Condition>SQLTYPE=3 AND NOT PATCH</Condition>
<sql:SqlDatabase Id="sqltest_remote_sql" Database="[DBNAME]"
CreateOnInstall="yes" CreateOnReinstall="no" DropOnUninstall="no"
Server="[DBSERVERNAME]" User="sysadmin" >
<sql:SqlString Id="executesqlstring_grantlogin_sql" Sequence="1"
ExecuteOnInstall="yes" SQL="USE [DBNAME] EXEC sp_grantlogin
'[PROMPTEDDOMAIN]\[PROMPTEDUSER]'" ContinueOnError="no" />
<sql:SqlString Id="executesqlstring_defaultdb_sql" Sequence="2"
ExecuteOnInstall="yes" SQL="EXEC sp_defaultdb
'[PROMPTEDDOMAIN]\[PROMPTEDUSER]', '[DBNAME]'" ContinueOnError="no" />
<sql:SqlString Id="executesqlstring_changedb_owner_sql"
Sequence="3" ExecuteOnInstall="yes" SQL="EXEC sp_changedbowner
'[PROMPTEDDOMAIN]\[PROMPTEDUSER]'" ContinueOnError="no" />
<sql:SqlScript Id="executesqlscript_remote_sql" Sequence="4"
ExecuteOnInstall="yes" ExecuteOnReinstall="yes" BinaryKey="SqlScript1"
ContinueOnError="no" />
</sql:SqlDatabase>
<CreateFolder></CreateFolder>
</Component>
</DirectoryRef>
<DirectoryRef Id="INSTALLDIR">
<Component Id="sql_db_remote_sql_patch" Guid=""
SharedDllRefCount="yes">
<Condition>SQLTYPE=3 AND PATCH</Condition>
<sql:SqlScript Id="executesqlscript_remote_sql_patch"
SqlDb="sqltest_remote_sql" ExecuteOnInstall="yes" ExecuteOnReinstall="yes"
BinaryKey="SqlScript1" ContinueOnError="no" />
<CreateFolder></CreateFolder>
</Component>
</DirectoryRef>
</Fragment>
</Wix>
It's just a little frustrating is all. We're trying to release sometime
soon and I've turned up nothing in my pursuit of an answer. And we have a
little executable program that we 'could' launch after the patch finishes
(and the kicker here is whenever you specify the dbname/dbservername w/i
that exe it runs the scripts fine on the remote machine).
Wilson, Phil wrote:
>
> If this code is running in a custom action, it is impersonated or not?
>
> Phil Wilson
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: cemiles [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Sent: Wednesday, November 26, 2008 9:10 AM
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: Re: [WiX-users] Patching SQL Database with script
>
>
> Is there an answer for this? I still can't get it to work, and I've seen
> others complain too. I can post my code if someone has time to help out.
>
>
> cemiles wrote:
>>
>> I'm extremely interested in this myself. I know Rob pointed out using
>> sqlscript/string, but I'm getting a failure on my patch as well when
>> doing
>> that stating 'unable to connect to database'. I've read in some forums
>> sql db's don't lend themselves to patches. That could be completely
>> inaccurate (just something I read somewhere). Are you still having the
>> same troubles w/ this too 'elat' ?
>>
>>
>> elat wrote:
>>>
>>> Could you give a little more information? Would these new scripts need
>>> to be included in a separate component other than my SQL Database
>>> component? In my installer I am creating a new database and running a
>>> script CreateTable.sql on the install. This works. For the patch I
>>> changed the CreateTable.sql to AlterTable.sql in my Setup.wxs. I want to
>>> include new sql scripts in the updated .msi and create a patch that will
>>> execute the changed sql. Does it need to have a different Binary Key?
>>> When executing the patch.msp I get an option to Change/Repair/Remove.
>>> I've tried both Change and repair, but it seems Change is the option I
>>> want to use since it asks for the SQL credentials. The assemblies are
>>> getting updated but the script is not being run. I'm a little unsure how
>>> this is all suppose to work.
>>>
>>> <Binary Id="CreateTable"
>>> SourceFile="..\..\SQLScript\MigrateScripts\CreateTable.sql" />
>>>
>>> <Component Id="SuiteDatabaseComponent"
>>> Guid="d6e96011-3252-4e85-80b5-b1ff64045e88">
>>> <CreateFolder/>
>>>
>>> <!-- installs database -->
>>> <sql:SqlDatabase Id="db1"
>>> Server="[SQLSERVER]"
>>> Instance="[SQLINSTANCE]" Database="SuiteWix"
>>> CreateOnInstall="yes"
>>> ConfirmOverwrite="yes"
>>> DropOnUninstall="no" User="SQLUser">
>>>
>>> <!-- define where the database
>>> files are saved -->
>>> <sql:SqlFileSpec Id="mdf"
>>> Name="SuiteWix_Data"
>>>
>>> Filename="[DATABASEDIR]SuiteWiX_Data.mdf"
>>> Size="2MB"
>>> GrowthSize="2MB"/>
>>> <sql:SqlLogFileSpec Id="ldf"
>>> Name="SuiteWix_Log"
>>>
>>> Filename="[DATABASEDIR]SuiteWiX_Log.ldf"/>
>>>
>>> <!-- add reference to database
>>> script bianarieshere -->
>>> <sql:SqlScript Id="CreateTable"
>>> BinaryKey="CreateTable" ExecuteOnInstall="yes"/>
>>> </sql:SqlDatabase>
>>> </Component>
>>>
>>> Eric
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> -----Original Message-----
>>> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>> [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Rob
>>> Mensching
>>> Sent: Monday, July 28, 2008 10:39 PM
>>> To: General discussion for Windows Installer XML toolset.
>>> Subject: Re: [WiX-users] Patching SQL Database with script
>>>
>>> The SqlScript element (or SqlString if you just want to run a couple
>>> strings).
>>>
>>> -----Original Message-----
>>> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>> [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Eric
>>> Latendresse
>>> Sent: Monday, July 28, 2008 14:59
>>> To: General discussion for Windows Installer XML toolset.
>>> Subject: [WiX-users] Patching SQL Database with script
>>>
>>> My initial installer creates the SQL database perfectly, but I want to
>>> be able to include new SQL scripts to be run with my patches. Could
>>> someone give me some insight on how to do this?
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Eric
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>> -
>>> This SF.Net email is sponsored by the Moblin Your Move Developer's
>>> challenge
>>> Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK & win great
>>> prizes
>>> Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere in the
>>> world
>>> http://moblin-contest.org/redirect.php?banner_id=100&url=/
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> WiX-users mailing list
>>> [email protected]
>>> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/wix-users
>>>
>>>
>>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>> -
>>> This SF.Net email is sponsored by the Moblin Your Move Developer's
>>> challenge
>>> Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK & win great
>>> prizes
>>> Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere in the
>>> world
>>> http://moblin-contest.org/redirect.php?banner_id=100&url=/
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> WiX-users mailing list
>>> [email protected]
>>> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/wix-users
>>>
>>>
>>> -------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>> This SF.Net email is sponsored by the Moblin Your Move Developer's
>>> challenge
>>> Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK & win great
>>> prizes
>>> Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere in the
>>> world
>>> http://moblin-contest.org/redirect.php?banner_id=100&url=/
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> WiX-users mailing list
>>> [email protected]
>>> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/wix-users
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
> --
> View this message in context:
> http://n2.nabble.com/Patching-SQL-Database-with-script-tp713025p1581637.html
> Sent from the wix-users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------
> This SF.Net email is sponsored by the Moblin Your Move Developer's
> challenge
> Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK & win great
> prizes
> Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere in the
> world
> http://moblin-contest.org/redirect.php?banner_id=100&url=/
> _______________________________________________
> WiX-users mailing list
> [email protected]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/wix-users
>
>
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------
> This SF.Net email is sponsored by the Moblin Your Move Developer's
> challenge
> Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK & win great
> prizes
> Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere in the
> world
> http://moblin-contest.org/redirect.php?banner_id=100&url=/
> _______________________________________________
> WiX-users mailing list
> [email protected]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/wix-users
>
>
--
View this message in context:
http://n2.nabble.com/Patching-SQL-Database-with-script-tp713025p1581751.html
Sent from the wix-users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by the Moblin Your Move Developer's challenge
Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK & win great prizes
Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere in the world
http://moblin-contest.org/redirect.php?banner_id=100&url=/
_______________________________________________
WiX-users mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/wix-users