You'd have to launch your configuration tool as a deferred async CustomAction.

-----Original Message-----
From: Calin Iaru [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, December 01, 2008 06:54
To: General discussion for Windows Installer XML toolset.
Subject: [WiX-users] elevating twice

If UAC is enabled, then my MSI will require one elevation prompt during
installation. This is acceptable, since registry keys are written and other
components such as drivers are installed. What I would like to do is to
circumvent a second elevation when the MSI file is scheduled to launch an
image at the end of the installation. Here's the use case:
  - the user installs a feature that requires configuration
  - the configuration tool is launched at the end of the installation if the
user marks that option
  - the configuration tool needs to write files in the system directory
If CreateProcess is called in the custom action, then the installer will
fail to launch due to insufficient privileges. If ShellExecute is called,
then the process can be launched only if the user confirms a second UAC.

My question is: can I bypass this second elevation and make the process run
from the context of the first elevation - ie. the context of the msiexec
process that is running with elevated installation privileges? I expect not
since that msiexec or dllhost has a limited scope. The setup uses version
2.0.4820.0 of WiX.