From: Andrew Kendall [mailto:akwix2...@yahoo.co.uk]
Sent: Wednesday, January 07, 2009 6:06 AM
To: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [WiX-users] Admin Install, deploying CustomizeDlg,'Location'
ambiguity

Hi,

I want to make use of the Administrative Install feature (/a switch) of
the Windows Installer, and allow Administrators to determine install
options for users, for which I am developing a set of dialogs for the
Admin, including the CustomizeDlg dialog.

The Admin will invoke an Administrative Install, and then go through the
dialogs to select network-wide install options. On the CustomizeDlg.wxs
screen, we have a slight ambiguity with regard to specifying the install
Location. The Admin tells the installer where to put all the files at
the command line, by passing in the TARGETDIR argument; this location is
the central network share. But on the CustomizeDlg screen, I want the
'Location' field to mean: 'Where are the files to be installed on the
user machine when he/she does an install?'

By default, the TARGETDIR value passed in the command line is reflected
in the CustomizeDlg Location field, which is not what I want. Delving
into the xml for CustomizeDlg.wxs reveals the use of loc strings, but
all is not clear.

In the localization file WixUI_en-us.wxl, how does one interpret this
line:

    <String Id="CustomizeDlgLocation"
Overridable="yes">CustomizeDlgLocation-CustomizeDlgLocation</String>

I mean, what is the significance of the double reference to
CustomizeDlgLocation, separated by a hyphen?

How does CustomizeDlgLocation resolve to TARGETDIR? How can I make
CustomizeDlgLocation point to a different property?

Your precious time, attention and responses are, as always, very greatly
appreciated.

Andrew Kendall