On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 11:49 AM, Rob Mensching
<rob.mensch...@microsoft.com>wrote:

> 1.  Dialogs are completely yours to author.  If you don't like the
> built-ins, don't use them or take them apart to use only the parts you need.
>  <smile/>

Ok - I realized that I could grab the files and modify them, I was just
hoping for a cheapo/lazy way out, since all I want to do is skip one page.

No biggie - I'll just roll up my sleeves and mod away.

> 2.  .zip files don't provide the transaction semantics the Windows
> Installer provides.  That's why it is not recommended to do what you are
> suggesting.  It isn't exactly clear what the advantages are since all of the
> files can be compressed in a CAB file.

I'm not sure what you mean here - I have a directory with 223 XML files. It
seems wasteful to have individual entries for all of them, since basically
the directory is just a large (9 megs) bundle of templates. Compressing that
(zip or cab, I don't care) and storing it in the MSI, and then decompressing
it at installation time would be perfect. I don't even need to worry about
individual file removal, since if the main application directory gets
removed then all these template files will also automatically get removed.

Can I just add a directory instead of a file, and have it work? Am I trying
to overthink the problem?

I can't seem to add a <directory> tag as part of a component, but something
like this would be ideal:

        <Directory Id="TARGETDIR" Name="SourceDir">
            <Directory Id="ProgramFilesFolder">
            <Directory Id="INSTALLLOCATION" Name="MyProject">
                <Component Id="ProductComponent"
                Guid="xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx">

                <File Id="MyProjectEXE"
Name="$(var.MyProject.TargetFileName)"
                    Source="$(var.MyProject.TargetPath)" DiskId="1"
KeyPath="yes">

                 <!-- and now my wish: -->

                <Directory Id="template_folder" Name="Templates"
                    Source="Templates/" DiskId="1"
                     Cabinet="Template.cab" EmbedCab="yes">

But I can't include a <Directory> tag within a component.

This seems like something that would be generally useful. Is there a
built-in way to do this?

Regards,
   cf