You probably know this stuff but Bob posted some interest information
here: http://www.joyofsetup.com/2008/12/30/paying-for-upgrades/

Neil

-----Original Message-----
From: vexilar [mailto:s...@sorna.com]
Sent: 16 January 2009 23:56
To: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [WiX-users] Conflict of Interest: InstallFiles and
RemoveExistingProducts

>From the MSDN documention for RemoveExistingProducts
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa371197(VS.85).aspx):

"The RemoveExistingProducts action must be scheduled in the action
sequence
in one of the following locations.

-After the InstallFinalize action. This is the most efficient placement
for
the action. In this case, the installer updates files before removing
the
old applications. Only the files being updated get installed during the
installation. If the removal of the old application fails, then the
installer only rolls back the uninstallation of the old application."

So this is how I have my installer setup.  I don't feel my Product is
that
unique in the regard that it has some files that don't change between
versions.  So the InstallFiles action only installs the files that have
been
updated between versions, and leaves the non-changed ones where they
are.
However, when RemoveExistingProducts runs, the files that have not
changed
are removed.  This is certainly not what I want.  Is there a setting
that I
am missing?  Thanks.