Hello,

I am wanting to allow my users to install multiple instances of my
application, just like Microsoft allows with SQL Server.  Can someone please
point me in the right direction to accomplish the following install and
uninstall sequences.

Install Sequence
----------------
1. Prompt user to "use default instance" or supply an instance name (if
default instance is already installed, "use default instance" should be
grayed out)

2. Verify that instance name is not already used; if it is, do not allow the
user to continue.  Also validate that the instance name does not contain any
spaces or non alpha-numeric characters.

3. Modify HKLM\Software\MyCompany\MyApp\InstalledInstances to append my
instance name (if it already exists, add my name to it)

4. Use the user-supplied instance name in all of my RegistryKeys so that the
RegistryValues get installed as
HKLM\Software\MyCompany\MyApp\InstanceName\XXX.

5. Somehow use the user-supplied instance name within the saved MSI state so
that subsequently installed instances may have entirely different feature
sets and MSI is able to differentiate between them (i.e. perhaps using two
entries in AppWiz.cpl or if possible using a single entry but allowing user
selection during modify/repair/uninstall)

Uninstall/Repair Sequence
1. If using two separate entries in AppWiz.cpl, detecting which instance I
represent.  If using a single entry, prompt user to select an installed
instance to uinstall/repair.

2. Use this instance name to perform the uninstall/repair.

I'm sure that I can figure out Install.1,2 but I'm completely lost with the
rest.  Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks,
Ryan Parlee