Hi everyone

I have been trying to create a database by attaching a pair of mdf/ldf files. I
can't get it to work properly so I hope someone has an easy solution for this.

I have been using a SqlString element with a call to sp_attach_db but I am
getting problems. First I used the mdf file as keypath for the component but as
I don't want any data to be destroyed at uninstall the component for the mdf
and ldf files must be permanent and never be overwritten. Then I got the
problem that the database was not attached if the files already existed on the
machine.

What I want to do is

At Install:

Copy mdf and ldf files but not overwrite existing files.

Attach the database.

At uninstall

Detach the database.

At major upgrade.

Do nothing.

Any Ideas?

Can the SqlDatabase element with SqlFileSpec and SqlLogFileSpec be used in some
way to attach a pair of mdf/ldf files?

Best regards

Peter Björkman

<Component Id="DatabaseAttachment" Guid="....">

        <Sql:SqlString SqlDb="MasterDB"

                       Id="AttachScript"

                       ContinueOnError="no"

                       ExecuteOnInstall="yes"