From: Tezuka Kunimitsu [mailto:osu...@gmail.com]
Sent: 21 January 2009 13:31
To: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [WiX-users] WiX custom dialogs insight.

We are currently developing a new product and would like to use WiX to
create our installer, but we still have some doubts about WiX usage. The
version of WiX in question is v3.
The problem is our installer does not make use only of WiX dialog sets
(WixUI_Mondo, WixUI_InstallDir and so on), but it has some custom
dialogs
like 'Select SQl Server dialog', 'Inform user and password' and others
that
is not present on these sets. We also need to write values in the
registry
and install and lauch a service. This seems like a common scenario, but
we
couldn't find the right way to these things, and the scarse WiX
documentation on the internet wasn't helping much.
We were able to make a Wix installer that is launching a Wizard (that we
made in Windows Forms) during the WiX installation process, this Wizard
has
the custom dialogs that we need. But after collecting some more info, we
realized that the WiX dialogs order can be modified and it's possible to
create new dialogs only using the WiX syntax and Custom Actions.
What would be the right way to do this?
1) Create our custom dialogs using WiX syntax and integrate them with
the
WiX dialogs sets, if it's really possible to create any type of dialog
using
only this.
2) Create our custom dialogs in a separate project using Windows Forms,
WPF
or whatever and launch this during or after the installation process.
Much
like what is being made with our currently installer.
3) Other option...?

Thank you for your help.