Hi,

I wonder if anybody has an idea how to conditionally add a group to a
user that is created during install? I am creating an user to run an IIS
web application (well 5 actually). I need to target different versions
of IIS, and it turns out I need to add the user to different groups for
each version of IIS. Groups are IIS_WRG for IIS6.0, IIS_IUSRS for II7.0,
and don't even ask about XP.

I have lots of permissions assigned to the user, so I do not want to
have to create different users for each version of IIS, and all the
associate permissions (10+) that go with the user. Therefore I want to
create the user once, and reference many times. The Util:Group must be
nested within a Util:User, so I thought of creating a Util:User tag
create the user with the same name, and to assign the group in
components with conditions for IIS versions. This doesn't work because
the order that the user tags are evaluated seem to be arbitrary, and
therefore the installer tries to assign a group to a user that does not
exist at that point. What would be really handy is a Util:UserRef tag.
Is this feasibility possible (i.e. doesn't hit limitations imposed by
MSI)? Secondly, is there a more sensible way to do this? I am using the
latest WIX 3.0

Thanks in advance,

Olly