Have you tried running the uninstall with logging enabled (msiexec /x
setup.msi /L*vx Setup.log) to see what is going on?

Neil

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Oehlert [mailto:poehl...@securityinnovation.com]
Sent: 29 January 2009 22:09
To: 'General discussion for Windows Installer XML toolset.'
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] Install variable not kept around for uninstall?

So I persisted my property value to the registry and use a registry
search
in the property to try to retrieve the value.

My issue is 2 fold. One, the property values aren't being populated from
the
registry properly on uninstall. It might be that the keys are deleted
(uninstalled) before they get a chance to be read or it might be they're
just being ignored.

Second, I'm not sure that I have my custom action set up correctly to
get
run at uninstall. I need it to get the server name in the expected sql
format (either {dbname}\{instancename} or just {dbname}).

The relevant values are below. Any help would be appreciated, I really
can't
figure out what to do at this point.

Thanks,
Peter

It looks something like this:
<RegistryKey
        Id="CreateKey"
        Root="HKLM"
        Action="create"
        Key="$(var.RegKey)">
        <RegistryValue
                Id="SetDatabaseServer"
                Action="write"
                Type="string"
                Name="DatabaseServer"
                Value="[TMEDATABASESERVER]"
                />
        <RegistryValue
                Id="SetDatabaseInstance"
                Action="write"
                Type="string"
                Name="DatabaseInstance"
                Value="[TMEDATABASEINSTANCE]"
                />
        <RegistryValue
                Id="SetDatabaseName"
                Action="write"
                Type="string"
                Name="DatabaseName"
                Value="[TMEDATABASENAME]"
                />
</RegistryKey>

And

<Property Id="TMEDATABASESERVER" Value="(local)">
        <RegistrySearch
                Id="RegistrySearchTMEDatabaseServer"
                Type="raw"
                Root="HKLM"
                Key="$(var.RegKey)"
                Name="DatabaseServer"
                />
</Property>
<Property Id="TMEDATABASEINSTANCE" Value="SQLEXPRESS">
        <RegistrySearch
                Id="RegistrySearchTMEDatabaseInstance"
                Type="raw"
                Root="HKLM"
                Key="$(var.RegKey)"
                Name="DatabaseInstance"
                />
</Property>
<Property Id="TmeDatabase" Value=".\SQL" />
<Property Id="TMEDATABASENAME" Value="TME">
        <RegistrySearch
                Id="RegistrySearchTMEDatabaseName"
                Type="raw"
                Root="HKLM"
                Key="$(var.RegKey)"
                Name="DatabaseName"
                />
</Property>

Because I support both named and unnamed instances I have a custom
action to
copy the property from TMEDATABASESERVER and TMEDATABASEINSTANCE to
TmeDatabase correctly depending on whether TMEDATABASEINSTANCE is
specified.

That looks like:

<CustomAction Id="CA_SetDatabaseNoInstance" Return="check"
Property="TmeDatabase" Value="[TMEDATABASESERVER]" />
<CustomAction Id="CA_SetDatabaseInstance" Return="check"
Property="TmeDatabase" Value="[TMEDATABASESERVER]\[TMEDATABASEINSTANCE]"
/>
<InstallExecuteSequence>
        <Custom Action="CA_SetDatabaseInstance"
Before="InstallValidate"><![CDATA[TMEDATABASEINSTANCE]]></Custom>
        <Custom Action="CA_SetDatabaseNoInstance"
Before="InstallValidate"><![CDATA[NOT TMEDATABASEINSTANCE]]></Custom>
</InstallExecuteSequence>