From: Steve Smith [mailto:st...@codejitsu.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 29, 2009 15:17
To: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [WiX-users] Secure custom actions/properties

I'm using a WiX custom action to import an RSA key container for
encrypting parts of my config files, which is working fine.  However,
I have a concern - in order to import the container, I have to somehow
include the RSAKeyValue XML in the .msi, which effectively means that
anybody with Orca can pretty easily copy my public and private keys.

I'd like to make it a little harder for them, and I've heard rumors -
though I can't find any evidence - that it's possible to secure custom
action data or properties.  Does WiX support this, and if so, how is
it done?  My googling has thus far only told me about the
SecureCustomProperties property, for controlling property access over
the network during a managed install.  Is there something else
available that can encrypt the data within the MSI itself?

Thanks,
Steve