I have created a small test project with only the parts related to this from
my original project.
It includes my c++ customaction and I think the smallest manged CustomAction
possible:

        [CustomAction]
        public static ActionResult TestAction(Session session)
        {
            session.Log("Begin MyTestAction");
            System.Windows.Forms.MessageBox.Show("Stop for debugging:
MyManagedTestCA", Process.GetCurrentProcess().ProcessName);

            return ActionResult.Success;
        }

I have included two custom dialogs. The one I use for my openfiledialog
(jumping betweeen two identical dialogs to reflect the property change) and
a dialog with a button to start the managed custom action.

If I open my oopenfiledialog, selects a file and starts the custom action
the managed custom action fails before showing the message box.
If I don't open the dialog and - I just found out - if I open the dialog but
don't select a file, the messagebox shows correctly.

Does that make any kind of sense? I attach the solution and project
including binaries (in all 1,32 MB):
http://www.nabble.com/file/p21980336/TestProject.zip TestProject.zip

I really appreciate your help.

Kind regards