John,

Thanks so much for this!  :)  That is much better news than what I was
hoping for.  I am going to try it today.

From: John Nannenga [mailto:john.nanne...@microsoft.com]
Sent: Friday, February 20, 2009 11:25 AM
To: General discussion for Windows Installer XML toolset.
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] question about upgrades and instance transforms

I leave the upgrade code the same for all instances.  I have a dialog
asking the user whether they'd like to upgrade an existing instance, or
install a new instance (only if an existing instance is detected).

If the user selects to upgrade an existing instance, I store the product
code of that instance in a property, PC_TO_UPGRADE.

I then have a CA which runs that sets the "MIGRATE" property and the
property specified in the `Upgrade`.`ActionProperty` for the record in
question appropriately and at the right time in the sequence as
appropriate for the installation.

(essentially, this strips off the additional semi-colon delimited list
of product codes for the other instances that the installation / upgrade
should not care about).

Do this before WI custom actions which act upon the property, and life
is good.  :)