I want my installer wix project to retrieve the version # of a built
assembly and then use that for the version in the installer.  I am
using preprocessor variables in my wix code and that all works great
if I  use the command line.

In my installer msbuild project I have the following target

  <Target Name="RetrieveIdentities">
    <GetAssemblyIdentity
AssemblyFiles="..\MySql.Data\Provider\bin\release\mysql.data.dll">
      <Output TaskParameter="Assemblies" ItemName="Version" />
    </GetAssemblyIdentity>
    <Warning Text="version = %(Version.Version)" />
    <CreateProperty Value="6.0.0">
      <Output TaskParameter="Value" PropertyName="CurrentVersion" />
    </CreateProperty>
  </Target>

And then later I have this
  <PropertyGroup>
    <BuildDependsOn>RetrieveIdentities;$(BuildDependsOn)</BuildDependsOn>
  </PropertyGroup>

By using the warning element I can see that my RetrieveIdentities
target is running.  I'm trying to use my version property here

  <PropertyGroup>
    <DefineConstants>Version=$(CurrentVersion)</DefineConstants>
    <WixVariables></WixVariables>
  </PropertyGroup>

But this doesn't appear to be working.  Any ideas what I am doing wrong?