From: Robert O'Brien [mailto:robert.obr...@microsoft.com]
Sent: 27 February 2009 23:10
To: 'General discussion for Windows Installer XML toolset.'
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] is there a way to get a dll.config file
deployed along side a gac destined file, e.g. a <File .../> entry with
Assembly=".net" defined?

Our service deliverable msi is installing a biztalk 2009 application.
As is the case with all things bts everything it uses needs to get
deployed to the gac.

One of those bts resource dll's makes use of the vs08 settings
designer/api for externally exposing runtime settings you want to be
able to tweak w/o having to rebuild, i.e.
settings designer == <project> | properties | Settings |
Settings.Default.MySettingsDesignerCreatedAndMaintainedRunTimeValue =
12345
settings api == <some type implementation>.cs | int
someExternallyConfigurableRuntimeSetting =
Settings.Default.MySettingsDesignerCreatedAndMaintainedRunTimeValue;

For that gac deployed dll to have its settings api calls able to
retrieve the dll.config stored runtime settings the dll.config has to be
placed in the same directory as the dll.

I tried the following two options and the first doesn't work because it
seems the file copy to the gac of the dll.config gets cleared when
MsiPublishAssemblies processing of the Assembly=".net" dll file setting
is processed.  I tried the second option I could think of which was to
add the custom action sequenced to happen after MsiPublishAssemblies and
even though the verbose logs show it successfully copying the dll.config
to the right path it is not there after setup competes.   Not sure what
process is deleting that file copy.   I can copy the custom action
statement out of the verbose log and run it after setup completes and it
does what I'd expect.  Any thoughts on why that's happening and more
importantly how I can get this dll.config file deployed along side its
parent gac deployed dll as part of my wix sources would be very much
appreciated.

    <Component Id="Sdk1Gac14"
Guid="A6D64010-D181-40BF-9ABC-BA15633E1F45">
         <File Id="Sdk1GacDataEntities.Providers.dll"
Name="MyGacDestinedAssembly.dll"
Source="$(var.MyGacDestinedAssembly.TargetPath)"
             Assembly=".net" KeyPath="yes" />
    </Component>
</DirectoryRef>

<DirectoryRef Id="GacMsilDir">
    <Directory Id="Sdk1Gac14Dir" Name="MyGacDestinedAssembly">
        <Directory Id="Sdk1Gac14VersionTokenDir"
Name="2.0.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35">
            <Component Id="Sdk1Gac14DllCfg" Guid="*">
                <File Id="MyGacDestinedAssembly.dll.config"
Name="MyGacDestinedAssembly.dll.config"
Source="$(var.MyGacDestinedAssembly.TargetPath).config" KeyPath="yes" />
            </Component>
        </Directory>
    </Directory>
</DirectoryRef>

<CustomAction Id="SetSdk1Gac14DllCfg" Property="RunSdk1Gac14DllCfg"
Value="&quot;[WindowsFolder]system32\cmd.exe&quot; /c copy
&quot;[#Site1Vdir3BinMyGacDestinedAssembly.dll.config]&quot;
&quot;[Sdk1Gac14VersionTokenDir]&quot;" />
<CustomAction Id="RunSdk1Gac14DllCfg" BinaryKey="WixCA"
DllEntry="CAQuietExec" Execute="deferred" Return="ignore" />

<Custom Action="SetSdk1Gac14DllCfg" After="MsiPublishAssemblies">!Sdk1=2
And &amp;Sdk1=3 And ?Sdk1Gac14=2 And $Sdk1Gac14=3</Custom>
<Custom Action="RunSdk1Gac14DllCfg" After="SetSdk1Gac14DllCfg">!Sdk1=2
And &amp;Sdk1=3 And ?Sdk1Gac14=2 And $Sdk1Gac14=3</Custom>