Hi All,

Firstly, let me confess that I'm new to Windows Installer and WiX,
coming from a rather antiquated WISE install system (10 years old!) and
finally embracing the modern way.

Amongst other things, something I'm trying to do is install files only
if they exist. Our system ships with various databases, which can be
specific to a given customer. Each database set consists of the
database, plus some supporting docs. The database is jet-based, so this
is just a file copy, nothing more.

I want to bundle each database set into a .cab file, then drop these
onto the disk depending on what the customer has ordered. Then I would
like the installer to interrogate the disk and extract and copy any
databases it might find. So, my databases may be packaged into:

Db1.cab

Db2.cab

Db3.cab

Etc..

The installer would check for the existence of db1.cab, and then extract
the contents to the install folder (and subfolders depending on what is
in the cab). My thinking is that I need to do a FileSearch for each of
the cab files and set a property accordingly, then use a condition for
each database component, although I haven't tried this yet. Am I on the
right lines here? And how might I go about simply extracting the
files/folders from the cab file to the target machine?

Thanks

Nick