Good stuff, thanks again.

Only one thing I still haven't figured out from your answer. Guess my
description was a bit fuzzy on that bit.

We have an application DLL that is our code, which comes in three
different flavors (one for each Office-version we support). This is
necessary because it has to reference the corresponding Excel-assembly.

If the user has some Excel version installed, the correct version of
this app interop assembly is installed as a part of the normal app MSI
install.

However, to support req 7 that assembly would have to be installed
separately on demand after the application has been installed, and after
the user has installed Excel (just installing PIA afterwards would not
be enough to make app excel-interop go).

Q: This gives us two scenarios for installing a version of that app DLL,
do I have to have two different MSIs?

Or worded in another way, is there a way to include a sub-MSI
"component" (factored step to install the app interop assembly matching
excel) in the main app MSI. This way, there is no code and/or component
duplication to maintain. That sub-component MSI could be stored on the
user's disk available to be installed on demand later. Does this make
sense?

Scenario1 = App install including sub component install w app DLL
Scenario2 = App install, then later sub component install of app DLL

If so, does that also allow for the sub component MSI to be
automatically removed when the app is uninstalled, even if it was added
on demand?

(want win installer to "understand" that the app DLL is part of the app
to be uninstalled, even though it was installed later & my first thought
was that RemoveFile is probably inappropriate for an app assembly?)

> I'm not sure I understand your relationship with the users of the app.
> Who is going to run your installer? The partners? Or are the partners
> giving the installer to end users, and the partner relies on you, the
> author, to provide appropriate partner-specific defaults?

Both. I think you have understood it correctly.

The partner's personnel use the app professionally and they do this
today. That is no big deal since they have their own IT-ppl in case of
any issues.

The scenarios I described are intended to support partner's distributing
the app to end home users, who are clients of those partners (think top
end stock market clients). When those customers are using the app they
should basically be experiencing that they are connecting to the
partner, and technically they will in most cases.

To make all this as no-hassle as possible (big fish can make big
splashes), partners will want our team to provide those defaults, or
rather have a process in place to produce all relevant installer files
etc customized for their needs given those property values. All they
want to do is to distribute one installer file to their clients and
everything should work.

/Mathias