It's hard to say the exact circumstances.  The .msi is downloaded from our
website, and I don't have access to the client's computer.

The client that last reported this problem has his AV scanner disabled.  I'll
ask him if he's running it from a network share.

What are the circumstances when it fails?

Perhaps there is another process locking the file open?
I have seen this error occasionally when I try to open a package that is on a
network share with orca.
I presume that there is an AV scanner running on the server locking the file
open.

I have a .msi I've created using Wix that seems to work on a lot of computers.
However, I occasionally have reports of of clients running the .msi on their
computer and getting this error message:

"This installation package could not be opened.  Contact the application vendor
to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package."

Does anyone know how I can recreate this image, and what I could possibly be
doing wrong in my .wxs file?  This error happens with both 2.0 and 3.0 versions
of Wix.

Product.wxs